Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Rock

Rock that leader Liz carried up the mountainside, just to "show those other leaders"!!


Top of the mountain, where Liz donated her rock and asked if I had any to donate...due to my quick thinking prior to the hike I had removed the ROCKS that had been placed in my bag, and had to just pick up one off the ground and write on it with a sharpie!!!

Little saying that we left under the pillow of fellow leader Carol.

Yes, it's a boulder, that we left in Carol's cot to get her back for the backpack rocks!!!

Due to the fact I was barely pregnant, I had to go home in the middle of the night because I thought that I had the flu and hadn't wanted to get anyone else sick. Lucky for me, it's the Egyptian flu and in nine months I'll be a MUMMY!!!! HA HA HA


Yes they made my chair for me, and had to make some comment about the Rock(s). They presented me the chair that night when I made it back up there for Testimony Meeting!

So the entire story goes like this. Liz and I were asked to go on the 1st year hike with our girls because they needed some leaders from each camp to go on the hikes. So of course I got to go!!! Well we packed our packs with sack lunches, and frozen Capri Sun's and I had a water bottle as well. Start of the day always began with flag ceremony, so I set my bag down and proceeded to take pictures of our girls and fellow campers. Little did I know that my leaders, (and some girls who won't confess) tossed several rocks into my bag with "encouraging" sayings on them. Well as I picked up my bag and we headed off to the lodge where our girls would be oriented first, I noted quickly that my bag was a lot heavier!!! I'm festively plump and know when I'm carrying more weight....So while we were in the lodge, Liz and I were going to write some notes to all the girls. While Liz was over gathering her supplies, and the girls were being oriented....I stepped outside and grabbed a rather large rock (First picture) and wrote a note to Liz about how carrying this rock would make her "rock strong" for Saturday, 'cause she was running a race that following Saturday. I tossed it into her bag and also gathered supplies to write to our girls. I took my rocks out and asked a stake leader to keep them safe, and she placed them on the top of the fridge. Well as Liz sat down and started to write, she went to pull out her water bottle and found her rock...well thinking I still didn't know about my rocks she said, "Those ladies are stinkers....Look what they put in my bag." Well knowing fair well that my rocks were sitting on the fridge inside the lodge and that I would NOT be carrying them up the mountain, said, "Oh well you should show them and carry it all the way..." Again, she is thinking that I still don't know about my rocks and shrugs and throws it back into her bag.....then carries it up the entire mountain. It wasn't an easy climb, but we finally made it to the top. At the top there is a mound of Rocks that fellow hikers have started to add to over the years (2nd picture). Well of course Liz has a rock to donate, and asks if I want to donate a rock, at which point I bend over and grab a good sized rock, and pull out my sharpie (which I carried everywhere so we could sign off the girls) and wrote my name on my rock and date and added it to the pile. Liz didn't say anything else to me until we got down. At which point I had to confess to her, that it was I who put the rock in her bag, and I did this right after I had asked for MY rocks back off of the fridge. She laughed and as we hiked back up to camp we said, "We need to get Carol back." At that point we walked past a boulder and both said, "We should get that and put it into her bed....." Well that was that, and several hours later I ran back and got that boulder (weight approximately 70 lbs.) and took it to my tent. There I sat, looking up scriptures about rocks, when who should happen by, but Carol who, in a slightly accusing voice, asked me what I was doing.....I innocently asked, "Aren't we suppose to read 30 minutes a day while were up here at camp?" She apologized and left me to continue my devilish scheme. I found some good references and wrote them on the rocks (3rd and 4th pictures). Then at the first chance, Liz and I placed them neatly inside (please note the plastic bag to keep her sleeping bag clean) her sleeping bag and under her pillows. There was a second smaller boulder that was placed under the first pillow, then the saying rocks, then the top pillow, and we left hoping that she didn't notice it until later. That night at dinner as I sat next to Carol, it came up that her cot (that I had just placed a 70lbs boulder on) was quite old and that if Carol was to bounce down on it to take off her shoes it would probably break....Well this set me off into loud laughter, 'cause I believe I have now broken her bed, and have to cover up my tears of mirth by yelling to Liz, "Listen to this....if we were to bounce on Carol's cot, it's likely to bust." Liz, Carol and I laughed for different reasons but it was all fun and we were excited (I was scared I had destroyed her bed)to see what would happen that night. Well that night we went to bed quite late, and after telling our story about how Liz had carried that rock all the way up the mountain and I had taken mine out...we waited!!! The other leaders had had to go to a meeting and so they were up a lot later than the rest of us. Needless to say it was around 2:00 am before they finally went into their tent to go to bed. Liz and I had been giggling and had to tell Georgia, what we were laughing so hard about. Georgia then informed us that Carol's cot, was her old cot. I apologized and told her that I may have broken it...then we waited. About 5 minutes after they had entered their tent we heard, "Oh....how cute!!!" They had found the little phrase written on the pillow. Well of course by now Liz and I are laughing out loud, into our pillows and waiting. Suddenly there was a yell of, "OH MY GOSH....." Then lots and lots of giggling. Liz and I bust out, and I call back, "Can't you keep it down?? You're the leaders and you're making a lot of noise....." I then slipped over into their tent and asked them, laughing, what was going on. There sat my beautiful boulder in all it's glory, as one of the other leaders looked up the scripture and proceeded to read it out loud. We all laughed about it, and Carol said, "You know this means war?" and I said, "Honey, the war is over. That (I pointed at the boulder) is Checkmate." I helped them take it off the cot, then laughed loudly and went back to bed. Well about 5 minutes later as they laid down to bed, she yelled again, "My heck, there's another one...." Which I responded with more laughter. Well that night I got sicker and sicker, due to the fact that I was newly prego and had done a lot that day. I got so sick that I asked Liz to take me home, 'cause I thought I had the flu and didn't want anyone else to get it. So at 4:00am she drove me home and I showered and went to bed with my sweetheart and slept most the morning away. I told Ryno that we were prego and that I wanted to go back up for Testimony Meeting, 'cause it's my favorite part of camp, and so he told me that if I felt okay, to go back up. So back up I went, and found that my leaders and Young Women, had all worked hard and made me a chair, with a rock and scripture of my own(last two pictures). Liz (on the left) and Carol (on the right) had been worried about me, and Carol believed I had "chickened out" and hadn't wanted her to "get me back," but then I told them that I was prego, and they excused my tardiness for the day. All the girls had signed that back, and I felt very blessed to have such a fun ward and leaders. So there is the story of The Rock. I laughed a lot, and enjoyed the entire time at camp, and believe that Carol took her rocks home and put them in her yard....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home